Bramcote Hills Golf Course Development Plans – Report on Public Meeting

Originally posted on Bramcote Today:

BHCA LogoA public meeting called by Bramcote Hills Open Space Protection Group (a sub-committee of Bramcote Hills Community Association) was held yesterday evening in the Main Hall in Bramcote College, Moor Lane to discuss the the outline planning application for Bramcote Hills Golf Course. 143 residents attended the meeting. Broxtowe Borough Councillors for Bramcote Ward, David Watts and Ian Tyler were present. The third Bramcote Ward Councillor, Stan Heptinstall was unable to attend due to Mayoral commitments.

Bramcote Hills Open Space Protection Group members gave a presentation. Ian Radmore opened the meeting saying that the purpose was to discuss the outline planning application for a retirement village on the site of the old Bramcote Hill Golf Course. Mike Johnson gave a brief history of the site, previous planning applications and showed a number of slides which illustrated the sites situation as an important open space and wild life corridor. Colin Robinson…

View original 1,478 more words

MEETING REPORT: Canalside Heritage Centre, Nov 2014

Julian Owen - Architect

Julian Owen – Architect

REPORT: The Canalside Heritage Renovation project; November 2014.

It was with much interest and pleasure that the Beeston Civic Society learnt of the plans and progress of the Canalside Heritage Centre project described and illustrated by Julian Owen, Architect, one of the Trustees of The Canalside Heritage Trust and whose firm is responsible for the design of the building.

Sadly, the Lockside Cottages, built in 1796, the year of the ‘Short Cut’ construction, has been allowed to deteriorate in recent times. After the arrival of the Railway, Beeston Rylands expanded in size and the canal was used extensively, but over the last 20 years Canalside Cottages have gradually fallen into disrepair. The last cottage occupancy was in 1990 and, happily, this building is in a reasonable structural state for renovation so it will be possible to recreate the original appearance of the outside.

Canalside Heritage CentreRich oral history accumulating from the families of lockkeepers and from relatives and friends of previous cottage residents, has helpfully informed and inspired the projected developments. Much useful information has also been gathered about the buildings and of earlier community life at the Canalside from artists paintings and early photographs of the area. Julian Owen expressed an interest in seeing any other such material that our members and the general public may possess.

Plans and models for the exciting new development are already in hand. The estimated cost is £865,549. A successful launch appeal for funds was held in carnival style at the Boat and Horses in the Rylands and donations have been received from a number of trusts. Nottinghamshire County Council has given generously from its Local Improvement Scheme while our Heritage Open Day produced a useful contribution. An anticipated grant from the Canal and River Trust would allow the project to go ahead.

Materials for the work are to be brought to the development site by barge. While the frontage of the existing cottage will be retained and restored, the inside will be developed to allow for an exhibition area and public amenities. A Café is also proposed with possible links to the catering training institutions at local colleges. Indeed the developers hope to involve community interest in much of their project. For example, they foresee the possibility of demonstrating and training – to interested groups – building techniques to be employed in the renovation work itself. Further, an allotment is planned which will supply fresh goods for the café and be maintained by local school children. There are also an exciting number of imaginative plans for involving the local community among which are a ‘Narrow Boat Project’, a ‘City Card’ scheme for cycle hire, and provision for a Fishing Tackle Shop for the fishermen.

Jean Cameron
Executive Committee member

STOP PRESS! The Civic Society now understands they have the last if the funds required for the project to go ahead!

FIND OUT MORE: To find out more, why not visit their website here (www.canalsideheritagecentre.org.uk) and find out how you can help, and support this fabulous local project.

2014 Annual General Meeting – 14th November 2014

The Annual General Meeting of the Society will take place in

The Community Room John Clifford School, Nether Street Beeston

on FRIDAY 14TH November 2014 at 7.30.p.m.

This meeting will be followed by a Talk on the work of the Canalside Heritage Centre.

This talk was originally going to be presented by Stewart Craven, but will now be given by Julian Owen.

Chetwynd Barracks Heritage Open Days visit 2lst October 2014

MOD visit 2lst October 2014The Mayor of Broxtowe, Cllr Stan Heptinstall (right) with James McCloskey, Station Staff Officer (left) together with Eileen Atherton, Hon Secretary of the Beeston & District Civic Society in the Officers Mess at Chetwynd Barracks after the postponed Heritage Open Days tour which took place on 2lst October 2014.

The text report below is by  Steve Austin  who is one of the Editors of Bramcote Today.

The visitors including Councillor Stan Heptinstall, the Mayor of the Borough of Broxtowe, received a presentation from James McCloskey, Station Staff Officer, covering the history of of Chilwell Station including the building of Number 6 National Shell Filling Factory under the direction of Lord Chetwynd which produced over 50% of the heavy artillery shells fired by the British Army in World War One, the 1918 disaster when the explosive mixing shed exploded, the establishment of the Central Ordnance Depot in the 1930’s which supplied many of the vehicles and tanks used at El Alamein and on D-Day, the introduction of the Army’s first computer data processing centre in the 1960’s in Headquarters of Vehicle Organisation to the present day role as a home to a number of Royal Engineer units including the one currently building medical facilities in Sierre Leone and the unit which prepares troops for deployment overseas.   After the presentation, the visitors viewed the memorial to the workers who died in the 1918 disaster and the Garrison Church before being treated to refreshments in the Warrant Officers/Sergeants Mess, the latter being home to many historical photographs of the site.

Friday 14th November 2014

BEESTON & DISTRICT CIVIC SOCIETY

FRIDAY 14th NOVEMBER 2014

 Annual General Meeting

followed by

STEWART CRAVEN of

THE CANALSIDE HERITAGE CENTRE

http://www.canalsideheritagecentre.org.uk/

More Information on our Website

http://www.beestoncivicsociety.org.uk

John Clifford School    Nether Street    Beeston    NG9 2AT

AT 7.30.p.m.

EVERYONE WELCOME

Members Free                                                      £2. Guests